Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spare Parts

One of my most favorite people on the planet received a kidney transplant yesterday morning.

YAY!

He'd been on dialysis - one of the few "lucky" ones to be set up for home dialysis - most days of the week for the last 8 years.

8 years.

That's a mighty long time to be dependent upon a machine for 3 hours every evening.

But hey! If you're one of those people who likes to road trip without stopping to pee, he's totally your traveling companion guy.

Anyway, yesterday morning early, he got the call. There was a donor and he was to report to the hospital immediately for surgery.

And it got me to thinking about that little red heart on my driver's license designating me as an organ donor. One day, it'll be because of me that someone like him - someone too young to die so soon and yet waiting for a life that may never come - will get a chance to live fully without the aid of a machine or the chains of a machine.

If you aren't a specified organ donor, consider it. You never know whose life you might save. And make sure your family is aware of your choice to donate. It's a gift that keeps on giving. And you won't even miss the parts.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

So happy for your friend! I wish more people would become organ donors - there are so many people in need. Don't know if you remember Katie Dutton, but she's here in Phoenix now & on the transplant list. Also not sure if you remember Kenny Suratt, but he flew in from Denver to undergo final stages of testing to see if he'll be able to donate a kidney for her. So amazing. I wish a swift, uncomplicated recovery for your friend!

Just Jane said...

I remember Katie. I didn't know her but I do remember her. I'm glad to hear she's possibly found a donor.