Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fur Goodness (Sakes)

I no longer believe in coincidence.

Several weeks ago, Chris1 and I were talking about our favorite bands/albums of all time. I do not take these kinds of decisions lightly. Thus, for me to say The Psychedelic Furs and specifically the album Talk Talk Talk is in my top 5 all time favorite bands and albums is very serious business indeed.

However, I'd never seen them live.

The day after our discussion then, it was brought to my attention that The Psychedelic Furs would be playing the Boulder Theater on September 11 with The Happy Mondays. Coincidence? I think not.

So this Friday night, Chris, the good sport2, and I made the trip up to the show. And oh my! What a show.

First, The Happy Mondays were really very good. Except for one thing...Shaun Ryder, Love, you are a very very creepy man now. As in if-I-saw-you-within-100-yards-of-an-elementary-school-I'd-call-the-police kind of creepy3. The songs are so great though! I'd forgotten how much I liked them. And if the Furs hadn't played, I still would have felt as though I'd seen a good show.

Lucky for me, the Furs were there and they did play and now? Now I have a ginormous celebrity crush on Richard Butler. In fact, he shall receive an invitation to my Celebrity Crush Supper Party4. Watching him perform was like watching joy. He is so smiley and such fun to watch, I couldn't help but just beam at him the whole 90 minutes they played. Never mind that they didn't play Into You Like a Train or Until She Comes. They played so many other songs I love love love. And Butler's voice is still that same gritty, sensual, knee trembly voice I've loved for the last 2 and 1/2 decades.

Here's a promo video with interview and concert footage of one Mr. Butler and the band and hopefully you can see a bit of why I have a crush...



Both Chris and I were so very tired at the end of the night. We agreed the next show we go to must have chairs as we're too old now for standing only shows or grassy knoll shows5. But it was worth every minute of it...in my humble opinion.

1: The Potential...as in potential manfriend I've been dating for the last couple of months.


2: Chris worked an 11-hour shift and got no down time in between work and the show. He didn't get home until after 1. That is a very good sport.


3: By no means am I implying Mr. Ryder is a molester or a criminal at all. He simply is very creepy looking in a molester sort of way. Add sunglasses to this picture and this is what he looked like at the concert:











4: The Celebrity Crush Supper Party is my fantasy supper whereby all the guests are celebrities I love and they come together in adoration of me. The guest list includes: Richard Butler, David Sedaris, Seth Rogen, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Janeane Garafalo, Queen Latifah, Rachel Maddow, Charlize Theron, and Kate Winslet. I need one more for an even dozen (including myself).


5: Chris and I have now been to 3 shows together...The Guess Who where we sat on a grassy knoll at Hudson Gardens, The Spinners at the Taste of Colorado where there was no seating if you wanted to see, and now The Psychedelic Furs which was also standing only. I'm pretty certain we'd both pay extra to be able to sit down.

No comments: